This Page contains some general information about the Region 15 Recognition Program. Complete and more detailed information can be found in the STARFLEET Region 15 Awards Manual. This page was designed to answer some basic information about the program.
1. Why should I get the Awards Manual?
The Manual serves as a reference guide to the Region 15 Recognition Program and gives information about the Recognition Program that is vital to the regional personnel desiring to take advantage to the program benefits. It provides crucial information about the regional Recognition Program including what awards are available, the criteria for each, and information how the annual awards work (and more). The manual took several months of research and development and is about 80 pages in length.
2. What information is included in the Manual?
The STARFLEET Region Fifteen Awards Manual has the following information: A listing of all the people who sweated to make this program possible and why we have it. How to recommend an award and who can do the recommending. A listing of the various Individual, Civilian, Unit, Scholastic, and Annual Awards, How the Annual awards are done. Information on the Region 15 Award Ribbons (Both TOS style and TWOK style), and how to wear them.
3. Who can receive Region Fifteen Awards?
Any active SFI member, chapter in training, chapter, or department currently assigned to STARFLEET Region Fifteen, or any Civilian or Civilian organization, other Star Trek related organizations or Non-Region Fifteen member that assists a Region Fifteen chapter.
4. Who can recommend Regional members for awards?
The awards can be recommended by members of the EC such as the Commander STARFLEET, or the Vice Commander STARFLEET. Recommendation may also come from any Region Fifteen Officers such as the Regional Coordinator (R15), Regional Staff Members (VRCs, Program Directors), Chapter Commanders, Chapter XOs, and Chapter Department Chiefs or Away Team OIC. Officers above the Chapter Commander can recommend awards for anyone in the Region for any action that directly benefits Region Fifteen, any Department, or Chapter in Region Fifteen. Chapter Commanders and XOs can recommend Regional Awards for any member of their crew and so on. Regional members may also recommend other regional members for awards for actions they have first hand knowledge of. We ask that you also notify that member’s CO to let them know. Awards on the Chapter level need to be approved by either the Commanding Officer or Executive Officer. Be sure to see the the information in the Awards Manual Appendix.
5. How often can I submit member of my crew for Awards?
We suggest that chapters submit their recommendations annually or quarterly. We would like to receive the recommendations at least one month before you need them for your awards presentations. We encourage all Regional Personnel to use the program as often as possible.
6. Does everyone who is recommended for an award receive one?
NO, but a majority are! The STARFLEET Region Fifteen awards were not designed to be given out like candy but designed to recognize those that have gone the extra mile. Before recommending an award, the Recommending Officer must first be certain that the award is warranted in the first place. Awards must not be recommended for a member or chapter that simply performs their duty as expected. Usually, if you have to ask yourself if the award is warranted, then it probably isn’t. Typically, a member/chapter has made a SIGNIFICANT accomplishment or achievement; or has performed their duty with ABOVE average zeal and diligence. This is what should be considered and noted. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE ADEQUATE DETAILS or DOCUMENTATION WITH THE RECOMMENDATIONS (see the Appendix in the Awards Manual). In addition, you can’t get multiple regional award from a single action or award entry.
7. Can I get Awards for Stuff that I did a long time ago?
If you have certain awards like OTS or OCC. Current Regional DSAs or other awards that you have a certificate for you can get the ribbon for these. Just provide a copy of the Awards Certificate
8. The Awards Manual states that recommendations need to be approved by my immediate supervisor, why is this?
Recommendations at the chapter level, they need to be approved by at least the Commanding Officer or First Officer.
9. Are the awards certificates FREE?
Yes – So long as the Recognition Program can generate funds to support the printing of the initial certificates. However, we do ask that those requesting awards certificates provide adequate postage and/or a large SASE. Regional members have the option to have the award certificate sent as a pdf file. Also we limit only 1 certificate per recipient. Additional copies of award certificates can be purchased for $1. The only conditions are that the the certificates are issued to the original recipients and the award was issued less than six months ago.
10. Where can I purchase the Award Ribbons, Ribbon Holder, and Devices?
Award Ribbons and Devices can be ordered from the R15 Recognition Program Director. The form is located on the home page of the R15 Awards site.
11. What are ‘UNIT’ Awards?
A Unit is a any body of STARFLEET Members who work together on a project or task (it’s a Team) This could be an away team, a chapter department, the chapter, members of different chapters. We ask that the team leader submit the group for the award.
12. Where do I send my recommendations?
To the R15 Recognition Program Director. Alternatively you can use the on-line form to submit most award recommendations.
13. Is the Awards Program open to ideas for new awards?
ABSOLUTELY !! The Awards Program is designed to recognize the works and accomplishments of the members and chapters in the Region. If you have an idea for a new award that is NOT covered by an existing award that you feel is needed, give the details to your Chapter CO and they will present it to the awards Committee or for those regional members who are listed as unassigned, can send them to the R15 Recognition Program Director. This is your Recognition Program.
14. Why does the Region use both the triangular Ribbons as seen in The Original Series and the bar ribbons as seen in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country?
The TOS style of ribbons are identical to the triangular ribbons seen on the dress tunics in the classic “Star Trek” series. Of course, “Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country” used award ribbons that were the familiar rectangular military style of ribbons similar to those used today by the military, the Police, and even the Civil Air Patrol. Because each individual member and chapter can choose which era that they or the chapter exists in. Having both styles allows both the regional member and chapter to have a choice closer to the era being identified with.
15. How will these ribbons look on the Newer Uniforms as seen in the latest TNG Movies and DS9?
The Awards Manual has diagrams that show how you can wear the ribbons on the formals and standard duty uniforms.You can also wear these ribbons on your club jacket
16. Who is on the Awards Committee?
The STARFLEET Region 15 Awards Committee consists of the R15 Regional Coordinator ,R15 Vice Regional Coordinator, R15 Recognition Program Director, and one (1) member from each R15 Chapter that is in good standing.
17. If I have questions, comments or suggestions for the Recognition Program, who do I send them to?
You can send them to the R15 Recognition Program Director. The Awards Committee will discuss them and get more information on the idea if necessary.
STARFLEET ANNUAL AWARDS INFO
Listed below are some General FAQ on the STARFLEET Annual Awards. If you have any further questions about the awards please either refer to the STARFLEET REGION FIFTEEN AWARDS MANUAL page 20 or contact the R15 Recognition Program Director. All questions are answered as quickly as possible.
- Who determines the winners of the Annual Awards? – The recipients of the STARFLEET Region 15 Annual awards are determined by the scores they receive by from Awards Committee members. The Communications Awards (Newsletters, fanzines, handbooks and websites), are judged by the R15 Communication Department.
- What is the General process? – All entries received by the deadline are sorted by section and sent to the Awards Committee members or to the appropriate supervisor of the Department for evaluation. Those entries that are the highest scoring are the winners. There is one per section.
- What is the criteria being used to determine the winner? – The STARFLEET Annual Awards are to determine the “Best of the Best” we are looking for the best all around chapters and people that best represent the ideals of STARFLEET. These entries are then sent to represent Region 15 in the STARFLEET International competition. We look for chapters and individuals who are active in STARFLEET, in Region 15, in their Communities, and on their chapter. The Awards Manual gives more details about the criteria for each award. The chapter awards look at Administration as well in involvement and activities on different levels. (SEE the Awards Manual)
- My chapter cannot possibly compete with some of the larger chapters in the Region why should I bother to enter? – You’ll never know unless you try! None of the winners of the past Annual awards thought that they were going to win either. If fact the chapters and people that I thought had some pretty good material .. did not win… so you’ll never know.
- Who can be submitted for the Annual Awards? – All Chapters and persons serving in STARFLEET Region 15. There is a restriction that those serving on the Awards Committee or as judges or part of the awards process cannot submit themselves for awards, but other members of their chapter or region may enter them. For example. If a person serves on the Awards Committee they may not submit him/herself in for award X, but if their XO, or member of their crew, RC or other R15 member wishes to they may do so. – so long as there is NO INVOLVEMENT in the submission process by the R15 Awards Committee or anyone evaluating the entries.
- Where do I mail my entries? – All awards are sent to the R15 Recognition Program Director either via email or USPS. The R15 Recognition Program Director will forward the Communications related awards to the Region Fifteen Communications Director (See the Region Fifteen Staff Listing on the Region 15 Web site).
- Can I get a copy of my evaluation so that I can see what area I need to improve?– Yes. After the Regional Summit, chapters can send in a SASE or request an electronic copy from the R15 Recognition Program Director for their evaluations. Four months after the summit the evaluations forms are shredded for recycling.
- Anything else I should know? – Please makes sure that your entries give the BEST possible COMPLETE picture of the nominees (chapters or crew). Remember the judges will only have what is written on paper to make their decisions by. Please be as complete and precise as possible in the pages allowed. Your goal is to make your nominations shine above the rest. Unless otherwise posted, all Annual award entries (Chapter Entries, Recommendations, etc.) are due before January 31st of the following year. For example, nominations for 2017 candidates are due by January 31, 2018. Annual Award Winners are announced at the R15 Annual Summit or electronically if no Regional Summit is conducted. Scores and entries can be mailed back to participants within six months of the announcements, if it is requested and a SASE is provided. Please make sure that the entries that are submitted are clearly marked for judging. For example if you send in a publication to be judged, please make sure it has Entry of Best Newsletter on the Envelope if sent by USPS or as the subject line if sent by email.